Thai Cucumber Salad with Udon Noodles
|Yields||Prep Time||Total Time|
|4 Servings||20 min||1 hr|
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 8 ounces udon noodles, or more to taste
- 2 English cucumbers, sliced
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ small Thai chile pepper, minced
- Combine sugar, water, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar and salt are dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Stir in rice vinegar to make dressing.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook udon noodles in boiling water, stirring occasionally, until noodles are tender yet firm to the bite, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain. Rinse with cold water and drain.
- Transfer udon to a large bowl. Add cucumbers, shallot, red bell pepper, and Thai chile pepper. Pour dressing into the bowl; toss until salad is evenly coated. Let stand to marinate, at least 20 minutes, before serving.
Leave a Reply