This wholesome apple cake is delicious, moist, and packed with yogurt and fresh crunchy apples.
- 4 (1 1/2 lb) medium-sized apples (Gala and Fuji are fine) (600-650 grams)
- 1 cup plain yogurt (250 grams)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups spelt flour (or all-purpose flour) (250 grams)
- 1/2 cup unrefined cane sugar (or white sugar) (100 grams)
- 1/3 cup I used expeller-pressed canola oil (but any canola oil works fine) (80 grams)
- 2 tsp baking powder (8 grams)
- 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon, divided
- 1 large lemon, zest and juice
- 1 pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 360 F (180 C) degrees and place the rack in the middle position.
- Peel, core, and cut the apples into 1/2 inch slices. Squeeze the lemon juice over them, add 1/4 tsp of cinnamon and mix well.
- Grease a cake pan (mine is a 9-inch round pan) with butter, cooking spray or simply line the pan with parchment paper (in this case there’s no need to grease the pan).
- In a large bowl, mix eggs and sugar very well, you want to dissolve the sugar properly. Then add oil, lemon zest, and yogurt. Mix into a smooth consistency.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon (but save 1/4 tsp of cinnamon for the top), and a pinch of salt until thoroughly combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined (do not overmix).
- Fold in a handful of apple slices (about 8-10 pieces), then scrape the batter into the prepared cake pan, and smooth the top.
- Arrange the apple slices nicely on top, gently press them into the batter and dust with about 1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- When the cake is done, remove it from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- You can serve it plain or brushed with some quick and easy jam glaze which adds a lovely shine