Pink Peppercorn and Rose Tea Cakes
Spice up the classic baked doughnut with a cream cheese glaze and a sprinkle of pink peppercorn and edible rose petals.
- 1½ cups cake flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ 8 ounce sour cream
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup fresh culinary rose petals, chopped (or 2 Tbsp. dried rose petals), plus more fresh culinary petals for topping
- 1 teaspoon bottled rose water
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns, finely crushed, plus more for topping
- Cream Cheese Glaze
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat a 3-inch doughnut pan or muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stirring to incorporate until smooth after each addition, add sour cream, oil, egg, 1/4 cup water, the rose petals, rose water, and peppercorns. Spoon batter into prepared pan, filling each cup about half full. Chill remaining batter.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely. Repeat with reserved batter.
- Dip tops of tea cakes in Cream Cheese Glaze. Immediately sprinkle with additional rose petals and peppercorns.
- Store in an airtight container up to 2 days or freeze unglazed cakes up to 1 month.
Cream Cheese Glaze Instructions
- In a medium mixing bowl beat 4 ounces softened cream cheese, 3/4 cup powdered sugar, and 3 tablespoons milk with a mixer on medium until smooth.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Leave a Reply