Every home should be equipped with a carbon monoxide alarm. Since carbon monoxide doesn’t present itself with any distinct characteristics, like scents or colors, it can make detecting high amounts of lethal carbon monoxide exceptionally dangerous. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) reports that carbon monoxide poisoning kills over 400 individuals every year.
There are precautions you can take to decrease your carbon monoxide exposure. Making sure your home’s appliances including water heaters, chimneys, and furnaces are properly maintained is number one. Not running vehicles inside garages and installing a fan to help ventilate indoor gas or kerosene is also helpful. Watch out for any warning signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning such as dizziness, fatigue, nausea, and headaches.
The key to a happy home is a safe home. Equipping your home with a carbon monoxide alarm is one of the many ways to help you along that path. If you are concerned about your risk, don’t hesitate to give me a call. I’m more than happy to supply you with installation instructions and recommendations for a trained professional to inspect your central heating system.