– Crystal Vagnier – Select Group – Writer/Editor
Every home should be equipped with a carbon monoxide alarm. Since carbon monoxide doesn’t present itself with any distinct characteristics, like scents or colors, it can make detecting high amounts of lethal carbon monoxide exceptionally dangerous. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) reports that carbon monoxide poisoning kills over 400 individuals every year.
There are precautions you can take to decrease your carbon monoxide exposure. Making sure your home’s appliances including water heaters, chimneys, and furnaces are properly maintained is number one. Not running vehicles inside garages and installing a fan to help ventilate indoor gas or kerosene is also helpful. Watch out for any warning signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning such as dizziness, fatigue, nausea, and headaches.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors are inexpensive and make a great addition to your Client Gifts! There are several options including a Smoke Detector/Carbon Monoxide hybrid by Nest® Protect, providing you a calm human voice, alerting you to danger and where it is in the home and it sends alerts to your smartphone!