The perfect health-conscious dish for a cozy afternoon.
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1 1/3 cups dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons brown butter
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs: sage, parsley + rosemary
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine chopped sweet potatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, pepper, nutmeg and smoked paprika, tossing well to coat.
- Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, tossing every 8-10 minutes.
- Remove and mash until pureed, then set aside.
- While the potatoes are roasting you can do other things, like cook the bacon or chop the fresh herbs to get it out of the way.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium-low heat and add chicken or vegetable stock. Heat until hot. If it begins to boil, turn down so it is no longer boiling.
- Heat a larger saucepan or even a dutch oven over medium heat. Add remaining olive oil and butter (not the brown butter), then add shallots with a pinch of salt.
- Stir to coat and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft, then add in garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Increase heat slightly and add rice, stirring to coat.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring 2-3 times until the rice is translucent and begins to toast.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add in wine. Continue to stir as the rice absorbs the wine.
- When most of it is absorbed, add in about 1/3 of the warm chicken/vegetable stock.
- Repeat the process, continuously stirring until the stock is absorbed, then add another 1/3.
- Repeat until all of the stock is used and absorbed and the rice is cooked, making sure to take a spoonful and taste test.
- The whole process will take about 20-25 minutes. If the rice is still too chewy and dense, heat a bit more liquid and add it again, stirring.
- Once the rice is cooked to your liking, reduce heat to low and stir in about 3/4 cup the sweet potato puree.
- Take a few minutes and really stir so it is well-absorbed. Stir in parmesan cheese and brown butter, mixing to combine.
- Top with bacon.