Spring Couscous Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
A spring couscous salad that’s light and refreshing! Loaded with feta cheese, fresh parsley, blanched peas, and chopped walnuts and drizzled with the most delicious homemade basil vinaigrette! Serve it as a side salad or the main course!
Total Time: 25 mins
- ½ cup uncooked couscous (not pearl couscous)
- ½ cup water or chicken broth
- 16 ounces (about 3 cups) frozen peas
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 shallot, cut in half
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- COUSCOUS SALAD: In a medium saucepan, bring the cooking liquid to boil. Remove the saucepan from the heat, stir in the couscous, cover and let sit for 10 minutes. Fluff with fork.
- While the couscous is cooking, heat a large pot of water to boil. In a medium bowl, create an ice bath with lots of ice and water, set aside. Add the frozen peas to the boiling water and let blanch for 1-2 minutes or until the peas turn bright green and are warmed all the way through. Drain in a colander, and immediately drop the peas into the ice water bath so they stop cooking. Drain from ice water before adding to salad.
- In a serving bowl, combine the fluffed couscous, peas, parsley, feta and walnuts.
- BASIL VINAIGRETTE: Combine the ingredients for the basil vinaigrette in a blender, using a big pinch of salt and pepper. Blend until the dressing is smooth. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper to taste. You can also add additional honey if you want your dressing to be sweet, the 1 tablespoon was enough for us.
- ASSEMBLY: If you want to serve this salad warm, dress immediately and serve. If you want to serve this salad cold, I suggest refrigerating the dressing and the salad ingredients separately for at least 1-2 hours before serving. Toss dressing in with the salad ingredients and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
This salad sounds yummy and refreshing. Am going to store to get some of the ingredients. Thanks. I. Vigil
Can’t wait to try it. Thanks Lee! Ps…dressing sounds so very good.