- 10 oz. baby portobello or white button mushrooms, cleaned and with the stems removed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 oz. pepper jack cheese, cut into small (1/3″) cubes
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken
- ½ cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Place a wire cooling rack on a baking sheet and place mushroom caps top-side down on top of the rack.
- Salt and pepper mushroom caps to taste.
- Place a cube of pepper jack cheese inside each mushroom cap. You may not use all of the cheese, and you may have to cut the cubes up a little smaller depending on the size of your mushroom caps. Just finagle it so that you have pepper jack cheese filling up as much of the mushroom cap as possible!
- In a small bowl, mix together shredded chicken and BBQ sauce. Top each mushroom cap with a spoonful of shredded BBQ chicken.
- Carefully place baking sheet with stuffed mushrooms into a 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until mushrooms are cooked through.
- Remove mushrooms from baking sheet and top with fresh chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.
You could also use shredded pepper jack cheese in place of the cubes – I found the cubes to be a little quicker and easier.
Try to use a cooling rack that’s the same size as your baking sheet. I also recommend a baking sheet with rims (as opposed to a flat cookie sheet).
Move slowly when you’re picking up the baking sheet – mushrooms can roll around on the rack if you’re not careful, so keep an eye on them to avoid any spills!