It seems like we always start the summer with big plans to see and do many of the great activities that Nevada has to offer, but too often time slips away and we miss a lot. This year, put these 13 things on your calendar so you won’t miss the fun:
1. Patronize the arts at the Lake Tahoe Shakespeare Festival.
Lake Tahoe Shakespeare Festival/Facebook
Take in a Shakespeare play outdoors with the incredible scenery of Lake Tahoe in the background.
2. Hang with the animals at the Sierra Safari Zoo.
Visit Nevada’s largest zoo in Reno.
3. Swim in Lake Tahoe and bask on Sand Harbor Beach.
Who needs an ocean when we have the largest alpine lake in the country?
4. Hike the Tahoe Rim Trail.
The trail is 165 miles long, so choose a portion and go for a day hike.
5. Go tubing on the Truckee.
Cool off this summer as you float down the river.
6. Watch the cowboys at the Reno Rodeo Cattle Drive.
One of Nevada’s best rodeos starts with a 100-mile cattle drive!
7. Golf on one of America’s best golf courses…right here in Nevada.
This is Conestoga Golf Club in Mesquite, but you can choose from dozens of courses across the state.
8. Visit Hoover Dam.
Tour one of the world’s most impressive dams.
9. Then, take a dinner cruise on Lake Mead.
See the dam up close and enjoy a tasty dinner out on the lake.
10. Hike Mount Charleston.
Hike Nevada’s tallest mountain for some stunning views.
11. Picnic at a lake in the Ruby Mountains.
Picnics always taste better at this elevation.
12. Buy some tasty produce at the farmers market.
3rd and Curry Street Farmers Market/Facebook
The 3rd and Curry Street Farmers Market in Carson City is voted the best in the state. Every Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. The market opens on June 4th and ends September 24th.
13. Lie on your back and gaze at the stars.
Get away from the city and you’ll see millions of stars in the night sky.