Bacon-Cheddar Chicken Pot Pie
Total Time: 1:00
- 4 oz. thick-cut bacon
- 1 c. frozen pearl onions
- 3 medium carrots
- 3 clove garlic
- 1¾ c. flour
- 3 c. Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- kosher salt
- 2 c. shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 c. frozen peas
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 5 tbsp. cold unsalted butter
- ½ c. lowfat buttermilk
- ¼ c. coarsely grated cheddar
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Cook the bacon in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes; transfer to a paper towel–lined plate. Roughly chop when cool.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the skillet. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes. Add the carrots and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
- In a bowl, whisk together 0.25 cup flour and 0.50 cup broth until smooth. Add the flour-broth mixture to the skillet, then add the remaining 2.50 cups broth and 0.50 teaspoons salt and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the carrots are tender and the mixture has slightly thickened, 10 to 12 minutes. Fold in the chicken and peas. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining 1.50 cups flour, sugar, baking powder and 0.25 teaspoons salt. Add the butter; rub the mixture between fingers until fine crumbs form. Fold in the bacon. Using a large fork, gradually add 0.50 cup buttermilk, mixing until just combined (do not overmix).
- Form the dough into 6 biscuit-shaped pieces and place on top of the filling. Brush the tops with the remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Place the skillet on a baking sheet and bake until the biscuits are golden brown and cooked through, 22 to 25 minutes.
Leave a Reply