The next time you’re thinking about buying or selling a house, you might want to open your mind to the benefits of an open house.
What Buyers Should Do:
Buyers should make the most of each open house they visit and remember to keep an open mind. Here are some tips for visiting open houses.
- Check everything in the house including the appliances, the size of closets, storage areas, and the views from the windows.
- Walk around the property and check such things as the brick and mortar and siding.
- Drive around the neighborhood and get a feel for the area.
- Talk to the Realtor hosting the open house and pick his or her brain about the condition of the home, recent upgrades, and the neighborhood.
What Sellers Should Do:
As a seller, an open house is about putting your home’s best foot forward. Here are some tips for a successful open house.
- De-clutter and clean the house
- Replace burnt out light bulbs and clean the walkway.
- Fix maintenance issues such as dings in the walls or leaky faucets
Two More Things To Consider:
- Last year, 45 percent of all buyers used an open house as a resource in their home search process, according to the National Association of Realtors Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers. Open houses are a way for the buyer to get an idea of what they can afford and what is available in their market. For sellers, its a chance to market the home and attract potential buyers.
- Whether you are buying or selling, working with a Realtor is key. About 89 percent of home-buyers purchase their homed through a real state agent. Only 9 percent of sellers sold their home without assistance from an agent. Realtors have invaluable insights into what sells a home and are the most trusted resource for rel estate information. They know what buyers value in their local markets. They can help sellers protect their investment and buyers build theirs.