Eat Your Way to Self Improvement
September is known as “National Self Improvement Month,” we have compiled these healthy recipes that feature lean, nutritious chicken. Enjoying a healthy diet is an easy way to practice self improvement, who knows what kind of other self improvement changes these meals might inspire in your life.
Fajita Ranch Chicken Wraps
12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast strips for stir-frying
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Nonstick cooking spray
1 small red, yellow, or green sweet pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
2 tablespoons bottled reduced-calorie ranch salad dressing
2 whole wheat, tomato, jalapeno, or plain flour tortillas, warmed
1/2 cup Easy Fresh Salsa
1/3 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Sprinkle chicken strips with chili powder and garlic powder. Coat a medium nonstick skillet with nonstick spray; heat over medium-high heat. Cook chicken and sweet pepper strips in hot skillet over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and pepper strips are tender. Drain if necessary. Toss with salad dressing.
- Divide chicken and pepper mixture between warmed tortillas. Top with Easy Fresh Salsa and cheese. Roll up; cut in half.
Chicken and Sweet Pepper Linguine Alfredo
6 ounces dried whole wheat linguine
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 medium red sweet pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
2 medium zucchini and/or yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced (about 2 1/2 cups)
8 ounces packaged chicken stir-fry strips
1 Ten ounce container refrigerated light Alfredo pasta sauce
1/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan, Romano, or Asiago cheese (optional)
2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Break linguine in half. Cook linguine according to package directions; drain. Return to hot pan; cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat 1 teaspoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add sweet pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add zucchini; cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove vegetables from skillet; set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the same skillet. Add chicken; cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until no pink remains. Return vegetables to skillet. Stir in Alfredo sauce; heat through.
- Add chicken-vegetable mixture, cheese (if desired), and thyme to cooked linguine; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with black pepper.
Sesame Chicken Salad
1 10 ounce package torn European-style or Italian-style salad greens
2 cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken
1 8 3/4ounce can whole baby corn, drained and halved crosswise
2 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup sliced radishes
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup rice vinegar or white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- In a large bowl combine the salad greens, chicken, baby corn, green onions, and radishes.
- For dressing, in a screw-top jar combine the orange juice, vinegar, sesame oil, and pepper. Cover and shake well.
- Pour dressing over greens mixture; toss gently to coat. Divide greens mixture among 6 salad bowls. Sprinkle with sesame seed. Makes 6 servings.
They all look good. I think I’ll make that salad, will add more veggies and some fresh ginger.